Saturday, February 2, 2013

Book review: ‘The Call,’ by Yannick Murphy ::::: Set in rural Vermont, this book is one which has kept me reading for some time. The life of a veterinarian and his wife is turned upside down when their son is shot. In true journalistic style, Yannick delivers her prose in a script of sorts. "THOUGHTS ON DRIVE HOME: When I go I want to go in a field by an apple tree on a full-moon night. WHAT I SAW WHEN I PULLED UP TO THE HOUSE: Bright lights in the sky, a bright object moving back and forth. Not a plane. WHAT I HEARD FROM THE CHILDREN WHEN I GOT HOME: Gentle snoring. WHAT I HEARD FROM MY WIFE WHEN I GOT HOME: Loud snoring.":::::Original in presentation and voice, deeply moving and personal, I am looking forward to the next half of 'The Call.'

No comments:

Post a Comment